Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Been enjoying Bouncer blog lately. His description of military obsessed high schoolers particularly met sympathy with me. There’s a certain type of social outcast in my own high school that sought refuge in that violent patriotism and authoritarianism (perhaps not unline nerds who play war strategy games, I admit), that seemed so weird to me.

I wasn't what you'd describe as a bully in high school. My conflict-laden, dysfunctional homelife and combustible temperament were common knowledge amongst my peers, and, coupled with my size, served to keep me out of trouble much more so than getting me involved. I was universally regarded as 'the kid with problems,' and people who didn't know me often went out of their way to steer clear, although, in retrospect, I feel their trepidation wasn't entirely warranted. All I ever really wanted was to be left alone. I didn't bother them if they didn't mess with me.

There were, however, two types of people I took some pleasure in going after. The first were those 'Soldier of Fortune' obsessed military-wannabe weirdo kids who habitually wore camouflage to school. My high school had at least three or four of these psychos, and they were all complete douchebags. For whatever reason, they pissed me off more than anyone else, and seeing one pass me in the hallway was akin to waving a red flag in front of a bull. Over time, I developed a highly effective method of dealing with them. Whenever I saw someone in a camo getup, I'd make a beeline for him, ramming myself into his shoulder and smashing him into the wall. I'd then feign contrition, offering my apology:

"Oh, I'm so sorry, man. I didn't see you."

2 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Where else, besides law enforcement or the military, can you say to yourself, "I don't like what that person is doing, so I think I'll go choke him," act on the impulse, and get paid for it?

While I realize the bouncer blog reaches a much smaller audience then the Cop/Law and Order shows I watch this sort of attitude still sticks out as kinda problematic - no matter how much I might sympathize with the frustration of the protagonists involved.

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm certain crazy vietnamese friens of mine....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Google